The Story of Ada Lovelace: The World’s First Computer Programmer
THE BLUE TREE
- How good are you with computers? Do you like using a computer?
- How important are computers in your work/life?
- What do you think the future holds as regards computer development?
watch the video
- ⌚ 0:10 Who was Ada Lovelace?
- ⌚ 0:18 What was she the first person to recognize?
- ⌚ 0:31 What is she famous for?
- ⌚ 0:55 What do we know about Ada’s early childhood?
- ⌚ 1:16 Who did she get in touch with when she was in her twenties?
- ⌚ 1:20 How did she use these contacts?
Crosse was an early pioneer and experimenter in the use of electricity.
A mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer, Babbage originated the concept of a digital programmable computer.
Sir David Brewster
He was a British scientist, inventor, author, and academic administrator. In science he is principally remembered for his experimental work in physical optics, mostly concerned with the study of the polarization of light
He was an Australian horticulturist and was responsible for the afforestation of Canberra.
He was an English scientist who contributed to the study of electromagnetism and electrochemistry. His main discoveries include the principles underlying electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism and electrolysis.
watch the video
- ⌚ 1:24 How did Ada describe her approach to science?
- ⌚ 1:31 Who was her good friend and fellow mathematician?
- ⌚ 1:36 What was Ada particularly interested in?
- ⌚ 1:51 Why are Ada’s notes on Babbage’s article important?
- ⌚ 2:01 What happened to Ada in 1852?
- ⌚ 2:10 What is Ada’s contribution in the development of modern computers?
- ⌚ 2:25 What questions was she asking in relation to the analytical engine? Is this question valid today?
- When did you get your first computer?
- Do you think children should learn more computers and computer programming?
- Can you imagine your work/life without computers?
- Ada Lovelace had a ‘poetic’ approach to science? What do you think it means?
- Can science solve humanity’s most pressing problems?
- Are there any disadvantages to the advent of computers and the Internet?
- Can you guess who drew the picture below?
|carry out||przeprowadzać coś|
|to be regarded||być uważanym za|
|keen student||Zapalony student|
|deftly managed||zręcznie zarządzany|
|collaborative||wspólny (np. praca)|
How important are computers in today’s world? How do you see the development of the computer sciences? What are the pros and cons of computers and the Internet?
Share your views and opinions below.